- Diploma in Elementary Education (DEl.Ed)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
Bachelor of Education(B.Ed)
The oxford college of Education is recognized by the Government of Karnataka, affiliated to Bengaluru City University and Approved by the National council for Teacher Education(NCTE).
Duration of the course and medium of instruction
- The duration of study of BEd CBCS Semester programme shall extend over a period of Two Years with four semesters for a total of 96 credits and 400 working days. The first semester shall be for 24 credits, second semester shall be for 24 credits, third semester shall be for 24 credits and fourth semester shall be for 24 credits.
- The Practice in teaching Programme shall be conducted in three phases.
Phase I: Pre internship Programme during the second semester for the duration of 4 weeks for 4 credits.
Phase II: internship Programme during third semester for the duration of ten
Weeks for 14 credits.
Phase III: post internship Programme during fourth semester for the duration
Four weeks for 08 credits.
- The college shall provide instructions in both Kannada and English medium separately in all subjects provided the total strength of students in such class is more than 40. However English / Kannada shall generally be the medium of instruction for content and pedagogy subjects.
- Student teachers shall opt for English or Kannada for teaching practice irrespective of their medium of instruction opted for theory papers in the University Examination.
- Student- teachers are allowed to write theory Examination either in English or Kannada.
Eligibility for Admission
A citizen of India who has passed any Bachelor’s degree examination of Bangalore University or any University in India or abroad recognized as equivalent through 10+2+3/4/5 pattern of education who has obtained 50% of marks in aggregate of all the subjects he/she has studied for degree is eligible for admission to B.Ed. programme.
The candidate with less than 50% aggregate in the degree, but a Masters Degree with 50% is also eligible for B. Ed. Programme.
In case of SC/ST, Category -1 and physically challenged student 45% marks in aggregate of all subjects he/she has studied for degree course or 45% in post graduation.
A candidate for the admission to degree of education B.Ed. must fulfill the eligibility criteria as per the directives of Govt. of Karnataka from time to time.
- A student teacher must have 85% of attendance in each semester in all theory subjects and 90% for practical activities.
- A student teacher must submit all the assignments at the end of each semester to qualify him/her to appear for respective semester examination. Those who do not submit are not eligible to take up the examination.
- Submission of assignments, appearing for class tests, participation in practical activities such as teaching skills, Seminars, Simulated lessons, workshops conducted by the college, participation in community living camp, Educational tours and field trips are compulsory. Those who fail to do so are not eligible for the semester examination.
Internship is an integral component of teacher’s preparation in B.Ed. programme. It helps the prospective teachers to acquire the professional skills required for teaching.
The internship programme runs in three phases:
- School –internship
- Post- internship
- Pre-internship: It is a college based programs me which takes place during the second semester for 4 weeks. During this phase the prospective teachers are exposed to various teaching skills to ensure an understanding of teaching process. The student teachers are also engaged in the practice of teaching skills and its integration in simulated condition.
- School –internship: It is a school based programme which takes place in the third semester. During this phase the student teachers are actually in a school for duration of 10 weeks. They are exposed to the school environment and school culture by getting involved in various activities. During this phase prospective teachers are engaged in various curricular and co-curricular activities like teaching (20+20 lessons in each pedagogy subject), administration of achievement tests, remedial teaching, participation and organization of various activities, observation of records maintained in the schools etc. they experience, practice ,clarify and reflect upon several aspects related to the teaching to internalize the role of a teacher.
- Post- internship: This is the final phase of internship programme which takes place in the fourth semester for the duration of 6 weeks. The student teachers are involved in other added experiences like community based activities, visits to special schools, review of textbooks ,Personality development program, mock interview etc.. it provides the opportunity to exhibit and analyze their work, done during internship programme. Student teacher’s teaching aspects are finally assessed through practical examination and viva-voce.
The eligible candidates will be employed in International schools, IGCSE, CBSE, ICSE and state board schools. Campus selections are conducted by prestigious schools and are employed much before the final semester results are announced. After completion of the course candidates are eligible for departmental examinations, Govt. Postings as school coordinators, and for PGT and TGT posts.