The Department builds and disseminates the understanding of molecular basis of life. The Department aims to develop internationally competitive professionals with excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skills who can contribute to an exceptional talent pool.
The mission of each program in the Department is to develop competence among students with an intellectual environment and a specialized body of knowledge that are conducive to their academic development, their proficiency in laboratory techniques, and their professional growth.
Biochemistry includes both chemical & biological disciplines with exponential increase in information & understanding in the field. Biochemistry holds promises in areas like clinical diagnostics, pharmaceutical industries, industrial production of enzymes, fermentation industry, food & dairy industry & research.
A golden opportunity awaits students in the areas of research & academics in various fields like molecular biology, genetic engineering, neurobiochemistry, enzymology, immunology, clinical biochemistry, endocrinology & oncology. The course also includes practical work based on research, thus providing a platform for advanced research.
Year of Establishment
3 year, 6 semesters (Full time) Affiliated to Bangalore university, Recognized by Govt. of Karnataka.
Combinations and Year of Establishment
BC:Zo:Mb (2001 ) | BC:Gt:Bt (2003 ) | BC:Gt:Mb (2003)
M.Sc. BIOCHEMISTRY :
2 year, 4 semesters (Full time) Affiliated to Bangalore university, Recognized by Govt. of Karnataka.
- B.Sc. Biochemistry : The candidate must have secured 40% marks in aggregate at 10+2 or Pre University level.
- M.Sc. Biochemistry : The candidate must have secured 40% marks in aggregate & have studied CHEMISTRY OR BIOCHEMISTRY at the B.Sc level & studied BIOLOGY at 10+2 or Pre-University level.
Syllabus and Examination:
As Prescribed by Bangalore University
Total area of the Department : 10,329.60 sq.ft
Classroom & lab facilities:
- Classes conducted using overhead projector & power point presentation.
- Spacious & comfortable classrooms with good ventilation & lighting.
- Assembly conducted within classrooms twice a week to inculcate high order of discipline & punctuality in the students.
- Light music run half an hour prior to the assembly in the campus.
- Series of well equipped 4 laboratories with fumigation chamber, Laminar air flow & instrumentation room with incubator, spectrophotometer, PCR, Flame Photometer, Millipore water sys, pH meters, colorimeters, microscopes, cold centrifuge, biochemical kits, UV transilluminator & well loaded store room with chemicals & necessary glassware.
- Separate research lab for research work in biochemistry.
- Smart campus facility for the students.
Teaching & Learning
- To modify the attitudes especially - as individual, academic, and isolated from the community.
- To recognize that they are part of a team by focusing on the academic, health, and social development
- To motivate them to function as part of the community.
- To create more socially-minded and well-informed individual.
The Department is funded by Vision Group on Science and Technology the K-FIST (Level I) project of Rs. 20 Lakh of 2011-13. The Department is funded by Vision Group on Science and Technology the SPiCE Project of 2011-12.
- University I Rank in 2011
- University III Rank in 2011
- University III Rank in 2008
- Won 1st Prize in Paper-Presentation, National Symposium conducted by Presidency college in collaboration with AstraZeneca.
- Won 1st Prize in Intra collegiate cultural event-Micromenia.
- Won 1st prize in Poster Presentation and Model Making on Science Day.
- Won 2nd prize in Quiz and Collage making on Science Day.
- University Ranks V 2012.
- M.Sc IV Sem Biochemistry Students has bagged 2nd prize in POSTER PRESENTATION on “NAGALINGA PUSHPA (Couroupita guianensis): “A POTENTIAL ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIMICROBIAL FLOWER EXTRACT” in a National Conference on Biotechnological Approaches in Medicinal and Aromatic plants Research, March 21-22, 2013, Sponsored by UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION (UGC). Organized by Maharani’s Science College for Women.
Ms. Moumita Arun Kumar Sardar of Dept of Biochemistry , TOCS, receiving Gold medal for Securing 1st Rank in M.Sc Biochemistry 2013 Bangalore University Examination
Gowrang More is receiving Gold medal from Governor 2011
MSc Biochemistry 1st rank 2011
3 gold medals